I am who I am and loved anyway. I hope we all feel that way. "Much more realistic and important to change something in ourselves than in our lives."

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Where do I get my Needs Met?

"Every woman has needs. But many of us are guilty of looking to other people to meet them - especially the men in our lives. Too often we expect them to meet the needs that only God can fill. And then we are disappointed when they can't. "

These sentences I have been "chewing on" since I've read them (my new book I'm reading "The Power of a Praying Woman") especially after 2 conversations I've had this weekend with people who seem to be looking for someone or something else to make their lives better. Life is sucking so if I could get a better job, more things, more time, a better mate, then I would be happier. I just want to yell at them "What about God!!!" It also reminds me that I too felt that way and I'm sure people and God were wanting to yell at me too. What I found interesting with the chapter I read and my conversations was how it made me think - how can "things" make me feel better inside - they are just things, and how can other people make me feel better and meet my needs - when sometimes I don't really know what it is I'm needing. Giving someone or something else the power over my happiness. Easy to do but leads no where in the end.

Not that I think people can't meet our needs but only if God is a part of it. I believe God uses people to help us, works through them. God knows what our needs are so he puts people in our lives that help fill those needs or who leads us to a more closer relationship with him. So unless we are asking God to meet our expectations I don't think they can be. Because when we are focussed on God we aren't focussed on ourselves, we have a better chance of getting off the negative treadmill.

Which leads me to think of the positives in my life, the way God has met my needs. I haven't always be able to thank Him, I know I've had times when even thinking of one thing was hard to do so I'm glad that I perserved and though there are lots of times that I still look for others and things to meet my needs, I can now thank God for a husband who when asked to go cut down someone's tree or help my family put in their security system - say's yes without blinking an eye. I can thank God for 2 good children who make me laugh, give me hugs when I need, who challenge me and love me. I can thank God for a job that gives me the opportunity to use my skills, to work with people who have a team mentality and a job that is close to home. I can thank God for a dog that gives me oppportunties to go for walks (exercise) and reflective time. I can thank God for friends on the internet that make me laugh and smile and make me feel connected to a bigger community, who I can have bible bit conversations with. I can thank God for the opportunities he has given me to serve others because when I do, no matter how negative I feel I always feel better afterwards. I can look out my window and thank God for sunshine and a cool breeze. I can thank God that he has put me on the positive treadmill and off that negative one that sucked the life out of me. I can thank God for just being who he is, always there, always faithful, always loving, always forgiving, always knowing, always meeting my needs. I can look at all the positives in my life instead of focusing on the negatives. Which is something I truly pray for the two people whose conversations lead me to my list of thanks.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I think when it comes to getting our needs met, we are ultimately in charge of ourselves. We have to figure it out ourselves. Whether it is God or something else will depend on you. I just know that everyone who depended on someone else to meet their needs winds up disappointed. People cannot read minds, although there are days we try. I can be a blamer and it is all too easy to lay the blame at someone else's feet, but I do realize that we are ultimately responsible for ourselves. How we view the world makes a difference. Interesting though, how on a good day, something appears just fine or normal and on a bad day, it can see incredibly awful and set you off in a negative direction. I really think we all need to get more sleep, more downtime and a little bit of what you fancy does you good (that last bit is a quote from a Brit -com Allo Allo but I also have it as my screen saver at work. I put it up there at first to annoy a co-worker, but frankly I do believe it. We need to see a little bit of good or joy in each day--otherwise it is just too depressing! Embrace the joy!
D.

What I have had to say...