I am who I am and loved anyway. I hope we all feel that way. "Much more realistic and important to change something in ourselves than in our lives."

Friday, June 23, 2006

Isn't it Strange???

Got this in the mail from a friend and sure did make me think...

Isn't it strange how a 20 dollar bill seems like such a large amount when you donate it to church, but such a small amount when you go shopping? (yep, went shopping with my daugthers Wed night and didn't blink that much at the til but I know I would have been thinking twice when writing my cheque for church for the same amount)

Isn't it strange how 2 hours seem so long when you're at church, and how short they seem when you're watching a good movie?

Isn't it strange that you can't find a word to say when you're praying, but you have no trouble thinking what to talk about with a friend? (yep, this applies to me too!)

Isn't it strange how difficult and boring it is to read one chapter of the Bible, but how easy it is to read 100 pages of a popular novel?

Isn't it strange how we need to know about an event for Church 2-3 weeks before the day so we can include it in our agenda, but we can adjust it for other events in the last minute?

Isn't it strange that everyone wants front-row-tickets to concerts or games, but they do whatever is possible to sit at the last row in Church? (yeah, we have the kids sitting at the front, I have noticed lately that the teens are sitting further back...what's with that??)

Makes you pause and think doesn't it? Well at least I hope it does.

I'm running away from the family this weekend, no hubby, no kids, just me, all alone, by myself, in the car, on the highway, alone.... for 3 hours....hmmm...am I nervous about that or happy? Isn't it strange - haven't done this for ages and I don't know how I feel about driving alone. I use to do it all the time and loved it, never bothered me before but now...

At least I can listen to whatever I want to listen too, at whatever volume I want to, and stop when I want to stop and I'll probably miss the kids! I'm off to visit a friend which I am looking forward to doing, haven't seen her for ages. Isn't it strange though, that we haven't seen each other for ages but 10-1 it will feel like it hasn't been that long, feel comfortable right away - always been this way and I love it.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I so completely agree with that email, esp about the 20 dollars and the sitting at the back thing. I had the good fortune to go to a conference one time with a lady I hardly knew. She doesn't want to get glasses, so she always sits at the front. I realized that I was missing a lot after a lifetime of automatically going to the back. we wound up having lunch with a bunch of authors because we sat at their table, near the front....! Since then I try to sit near the front at things. Also, as the old eyes start to go, it's a plan!

I hadn't realized how you would feel about the drive, but of course you don't do it much. In the past five years I have had to take myself driving places I was scared to go after a lifetime of being driven around by husband or parents or neighbours. Now I love it, as long as I have tunes or a book to keep me company. Or one of my kids. I really agreed with the part in the movie about how everyone has to do a roadtrip in their life. I agree. Nothing like being alone in your bubble with all the sky and the scenery and just you. Brian found the sky here intimidating after growing up in big cities. I find it peaceful and awe-inspiring. Funny how growing up here affects who you become. All those years of pioneer ancestors working hard and making do. We keep a piece of that, even though we are now urban dwellers. Strange but true. How do your sisters feel about this, living away?
I am so glad you came and if we don't do this more often, we are just crazy to deprive ourselves of the joy of friendship. Have a good week! D

What I have had to say...