I am who I am and loved anyway. I hope we all feel that way. "Much more realistic and important to change something in ourselves than in our lives."

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Vintage Faith...

vin·tage adj. of high quality, especially from a past time period n. the date or time period when something was originally produced or existed

faith n. reliance and trust in a person or thing

I have been reading some information on "emerging" generations and churches in regards to being part of a committee that helps plan/develop worship service at our church. One article I read talked about how the early churches were very much a "community" atmosphere. How they sat around and were able to look at each other - reminds me of the scene from Sermon on the Mount from a movie, with people sitting all around and Jesus walking amongst them, how they could look at each other. These days in church we can only look at the backs of each other's head and the light is usually glaring. I thought that's an interesting point but really didn't think beyond that until worship service today. Sitting in the back - all I could see was the backs of heads. Two of the songs we sung really drove home the point from the article. I can't remember the title of the songs but the verse that brought the point home "How beautiful is the body of Christ" and "Have you seen Jesus." How different would those songs have felt singing them if I could have looked at my brothers and sisters and seen how beautiful they were, or see Jesus in their eyes instead of just the backs of their heads? Something to think about.

What have I been up to lately? Well Thursday I went to a fundraiser/silent auction for a local crisis pregnancy centre - never been to one and had a good time. Actually bought a couple of items which have turned into gifts. The best gift was for my brother in law for next Christmas - I always find him hard to buy for but I'm really excited about having his gift so early!! Friday night was going to watch my oldest daughter's ballet rehearsal with a friend. We went for ice cream afterwards - cold and rainy and we went for Blizzard ice cream desserts - go figure. Then of course Saturday was the recital - she did excellent of course (proud mother beams). We also finally purchased an entertainment centre for downstairs and spent most the afternoon putting it together. Today it is still raining but laundry is on the menu so a good day for that.

What is my thank you list today? I am thankful that I connect with a friend today and actually made arrangements to go to her place for coffee this week (something I've been meaning to do for months). I am thankful for the rain because now I don't feel guilty for not being outside working on yard work. I am thankful for different "versions" of the bible that help me to understand scripture better. I am thankful that I got to hear Samuel preach today with such passion. I am thankful for an older daughter that likes to bake (cookies being made as I type).

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting point made by Holly. Heather you know what reservations i have with my church. it's still that way.. fellowship is lacking in the sense that those who do not go every week feel less a part of it all. i realize we go to 'connect' with the Lord, but one day it sure would be nice if someone stopped me befoe i left to actually talk. maybe i don't hang around long enuf after the service.. but there have been times i did and i stood there observing others talking while i stood there, alone.

..i think my church needs more effective greeters. agreed?

btw. i am not posting under an official blogger name b/c the site still doesn't recogize me as someone who's already registered?
so i am trying the 'other' box. my previous message did go thru under anonymous.

i am, however, a person who craves her own 'identity' LOL

Heather said...

I hear you on your church, ours at one time was like that but we have worked hard on changing that. Hence our greeters, and people being very watchful for new people and making a point of talking to people that are standing around alone. We have a smaller church though and that makes a difference too I think too.

I agree with Holly on church should have a family atmosphere, since we are family. "feeling of love and acceptance" definetely - since no one is better than the other.

Anonymous said...

:)) later.. !!

Anonymous said...

the Calvary Chursh i sometimes attend IS small. unlike the main hub one that is huge.

i may have to volunteer as a greeter. then fer sure i'll talk to people, b/c i will have a 'calling' to do it! ;-) ...or maybe attend a few organizational meetings and suggest more effort be made to help non-regulars feel welcome. if they don't feel isolated from the fellowship before/after service, they just might just come back!

..it's father's day! the same for you in Canada? we need a new blog for this! i have plenty to say about it LOL

..later! (( )) n@

What I have had to say...