I am who I am and loved anyway. I hope we all feel that way. "Much more realistic and important to change something in ourselves than in our lives."

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Trees....going, going, gone....

***Warning: If you are a tree lover do not read further*****

Well, I have wanted my 2 pines chopped down for several summers now. My hubby surprised me earlier this summer by chopping off about 20feet of the lower branches off the 2 pines. And today he finished off the job. 2 trees I wanted down, we ended up with 2 1/2 trees down. Unfortunately the other tree in the yard got damaged (i.e. the trees kept falling into it - but better than the neighbours fence or house!).

Here is Murray starting the job, 2 trees still up:



Here is the tree down with the tree I didn't want down. When it fell on the tree, I was thinking well I wanted to prune the tree anyway and now we will definetely be pruning! I was quite nervous watching this whole event. I kept imaging it falling into the neighbours yard and damaging their propery, or Murray somehow getting caught by the tree and hurting himself. He was able to get down from the ladder and to a safe place before the first one fell. The second one, he got to rope and was able to yank it in the right direction.



Stumps now:



It is amazing at how open our backyard feels now. I am thankful that I still have a husband in one piece, with no broken back/neck/arm/leg, or chopped off arm/leg. I am thankful that I have a brother in law that would come over and spend the day helping his brother chop these trees down. I am thankful for a wide open backyard that I have no excuse now, not to sit in and enjoy. I am thankful my dog gets along with my brother in law's dog, since they had to spend the day together. We would kick them into the house when the trees were coming down. They both sat at the side door crying to be let out.

Here are the two hard working men chilling after a good days work. Thank you Lord for them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why is it that people with trees want them down and people with no trees want trees....sometimes I think it is the grass is greener effect but mostly I think it has to do with the prairies themselves. When people have no trees, they want trees so bad they plant them in nice close rows. Then a few decades go by, and yes, they have finally grown, but are too close together and cause problems. I wonder if there are any happy mediums (as Bruce would say, yes and her name is Zelda...)
Our "weed trees" are finally big enough to produce shade, but usually on the neighbours house rather than ours. When we lived in S'toon we had trees in the front and I loved them so much. Having trees cuts 60% of the heat that comes to your house. I know this is true because we never could have lived in that house with out the trees. And of course, this house is a little hotbox. I wish we had trees....too bad a person can't just go and select a few nice big trees and have them put where you like. I guess you can do that if you have enough money. we have tree movers here and I see them moving big pines etc. But I think there is no guarantee if they are going to live. We have had very little luck transplanting anything here. the earth is so dense I think it chokes out the roots. Haven't done much with the yard this year. both of us feeling tired and apathetic. Anyway just wanted to leave a little comment. I feel sorry you had to take them down, but I can see your yard still has plenty of shade yet and probably you needed to take them out. You should make little flower bed things or bench things with the stumps....Bye for now, this is a bleeding words day for me, so I go to post...D

Ian said...

We have only planted about 2000 trees on our acreage but about half have died. AND you want to kill trees! Oh well, you probably wanted the space. I did a new post with a picture from July.

What I have had to say...