I am who I am and loved anyway. I hope we all feel that way. "Much more realistic and important to change something in ourselves than in our lives."

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Pedomoeter Challenge...

At work the Wellness Committee has started a Pedometer Challenge. Those that wanted to be part of the challenge get a pedometer, sign up for a team (youth or adult - I'm on the "adult" team). First week you do your regular routine to get your "baseline" and then for the next 5 weeks you try to increase it by 20%. You also get bonus points for making healthier choices. They post the scores by team (not individuals), the team that increases the most overall "wins". I've discovered this is a good motivator for me - easy to let myself down but I don't want to let my team down.

Week 1 (baseline week)
Unfortunately was the week I went to Breakforth - lots of walking - more than I usually do. So I ended up with a 3.2 kl average for the week (thank the Lord for the driving days) Now that may not seem like a lot but I have a desk job so not a whole lot of walking at work.

Week 2...
First day was the drive to Regina - which meant car rides and sitting at my mother in laws table visiting. When we got home at 9:00 I did go on the treadmill for 15 minutes. But even with that my pedometer only said about 1.5 (I'm thinking the pedometer might not have been working all that well - well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!). So not only do I have to increase by 20% but I have to make up for Monday!

The team motivation has worked - I've been on the treadmill everyday when I get home. I'm aiming to be able to do it for 30 minutes and do at least 2k. Right now it's 15 - 20 minutes and around .8 k. I have walked to the grocery store, walked to the bank for work, chosen healthier foods to buy and danced with my daughter one night. I am hoping that once it's not so cold that I will walk to work at least 2 to 3 times a week. My average this week so far is 3.5k - an improvement but not 20%. But thats okay cause I'm impressed that I've done the treadmill everyday.

I'm thankful for this challenge that might actually help me get more physically in shape and maybe get me into a physical activity habit. Thankful for the $4 long sleeve t-shirts I found today. I'm thankful the groundhog didn't see his shadow. Thankful that I finally got letters written to all my siblings.

No comments:

What I have had to say...